Sunday, March 18, 2012

A new diet and other random things.

Even though Ethan and I had a really good time on vacation, we managed to have a few serious discussions along the way that really have made an impact on the way we're handling our marriage. The biggest issue we both have is the way we maintain our health and our eating habits. We can't keep using excuses, but I do feel like it's a little harder for us both right now to get on a good schedule that works with our lifestyle. Between our living situation, having an oven that is currently out of commission, being on opposite work schedules and my being gone a lot, it's hard for us to balance a fast-paced lifestyle with healthy, good-for-you food. Unfortunately, our bodies don't seem to be buying our "reasons" for not treating them well, and as our months of marriage continue to increase, our waistline also seems to expand a bit. It's no secret that I have been a yo-yo dieter for about seven years now. I can lose weight quickly, and I can gain it back faster. I love to work out, but I hate starting the process. I know how to cook healthy foods, but I enjoy the ease of running to the nearest fast-food place for a savory something that fits with my on-the-go life. But all of that just has to stop. Ethan wants to lose about twenty pounds before he leaves for Afghanistan, and I consider it a personal responsibility as his wife to help him do that. If losing twenty pounds can help at all be safe over there, then losing twenty pounds is what he'll do. I, on the other hand, have way more than twenty pounds to lose. But it can be done! One of my resolutions for 2012 was to lose weight and eat better so I guess now is as good of a time as any to start that right up.

I've been following another blogger as she journeys on a mission to get healthy, not diet. Her name is Sandy Keys and you can find her blog here: It's Time To Get Healthy! She's figuring out how to integrate a more holistic approach to eating and living by weaning off of processed foods. How cool is that? E and I also want to try to eat less processed foods and focus on a more well-rounded diet that we can maintain for years to come.

For me personally, I'm very excited about bringing some big changes to my diet that will result in not only weight loss, but my feeling better. For a couple of years, I've noticed that not only am I extremely out of shape, but my immune system isn't as strong as it should be at 21 years old. I get very tired all the time and I could probably sleep for days and never feel like I've rested enough.

We've already made some small changes to our new diet, but it will be a slow process that won't be well under way until E has left for deployment. We're starting now, but we hope that by the time he comes home, I will have established a very healthy routine that he can fall into. For now, we're using up what we've got and being more selective when grocery shopping for new things.

Another exciting part of my new diet is introducing red meat back into my life. For five years I managed to stay away from it's deliciousness, but depriving myself of it is pretty much over now. While many people actually give up red meat when they go on a diet, I'm doing the opposite because I do realize that there are some benefits to eating it. I won't eat it every day, every week or maybe ever two weeks, but I will slowly start eating more of it. I think I have an iron deficiency, but I can't be sure. I haven't gone to the doctor or anything, but I can't imagine I'm good in that department because I don't eat any iron-rich foods on even a monthly basis.

I'm also starting to take a multi-vitamin and I'm contemplating trying out acupuncture. I'm trying to convince the hubs to do that and Zumba with me... we'll see how it goes! I think I'm also going to start vlogging soon. I've been saying for awhile that I want to do that but I really mean it this time. I love watching YouTube videos so we'll see if mine can compete with the masses :)

Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment