Friday, November 9, 2012

Four More Years

I've been meaning to write since Wednesday morning, but I'm embarrassed to say I've been putting it off. I feel like I should have a lot to say after the elections on Tuesday, but really, I don't. It's no secret that I'm pretty liberal and It's even less of a secret that I voted for Obama again.

Four years ago I was so politically active and very excited to vote, but this year was quite different. While I still care a great deal about who is elected on both local and national levels, I found it difficult to really get motivated this time around.

I did manage to voice my opinion after seeing a rather ridiculous sign in a window near my apartment:


And I also voted early (on my birthday to be exact):


On election night, my sister and I had a few glasses bottles of wine while we nervously watched the results come in. It was honestly excruciated to watch the intial numbers come in, because Romney was leading for awhile before some of the bigger states' results poured in.

Before midnight, though, it was clear that the American people's voice was heard and I don't think I'll ever forget the rush of excitement as CNN broke into their own coverage with the announcement that they had called the presidential election and that Obama had won a second term.

With 303 electoral votes, 33 more than what was needed to secure the presidential seat, Obama remained in office and I went to bed. It was rather uneventful but I can't lie, I was very proud in that moment to know I had a very tiny part in making history once again.

I don't really want to drag this into a super political rant, but there are many reasons why I vote the way I vote.

I want to help those who are in need, feed those who are hungry and stop giving more to those who already have plenty. I want to see my best friend get married. I want to see him have kids and have complete rights to them if they aren't biologically related. I want to bring my husband home from this war and bring all of our troops home. I want to see struggling single parents have a chance at making it. I want to give women the right to choose - even if they make a decision I am 100% against - because it's their right. I want to love Jesus and let Him shine through me; I don't want to force Him on those who don't believe the same things I do. And I really think that this election was a positive step in the right direction for all of those things... at least on a national level.

So at least for another four more years, we can progress and hopefully until the next election we can come together as a nation and unify for the common goal of creating a positive nation for ourselves and future generations.

This is of course, the greatest country in the world.




No comments:

Post a Comment