Monday, May 23, 2011

Matt

Twenty-two years young. I hadn't spoken to you in years but I can't seem to get you off my mind today. Perhaps because you were only two years older than me, or because I can remember you so vividly. You always tried to get me to ride in your truck. I will never forget standing in the band room and you were telling me about something new you had gotten for it and said, "but it's not like I've had any luck getting you in it so far." or something so similar to that... I didn't trust you. The teacher even took me aside a few times and told me to be careful, it's not that you were a bad person, but I was younger. I was naive and you were older with a car and wanted to impress. You taught me how to get into a house without a key and you gave me an old wal-mart gift card from your wallet that had obviously picked it's fair share of locks. You were funny and nice, sweet and charming. I thought you were mildly attractive, but even back then, my eyes were set on E and I never had a real interest in anyone else. I pray for your brother now; your mom and your dad. I have no idea who you turned into after high school... I don't think I ever saw you. I'm sure you were wonderful until it was time for you to go. I'm convinced your remained kind-hearted and simple, in the most lovely of ways. I'll miss the man I knew, and perhaps the one I never got to know again.

2 Corinthians 5:8
We are confident, I say, and would prefer to be away from the body and at home with the Lord.

If there are things to break into in Heaven, I'm totally down for bringing this card that I still have.

No comments:

Post a Comment