Sunday, April 29, 2012

Almost There...

For the last week I've learned just what the chaos that is senior year really boils down to once you reach the end. I don't know why I thought it would be easier, but I was so wrong. I've pulled all-nighters, typed papers until my words run together and relied on prayer to get my through the long days of exam preparation. To add to that crazy, I pulled double duty on house sitting. It probably wasn't the best idea, but we made some extra cash that really helped us out. I spent the week watching Toast:



And Buck & Tanner, who gave Mariska Roo a very warm welcome




The weekend held much more excitement, as we had a Yellow Ribbon event to attend. This event is designed to help the families of deploying soldiers learn more about the process and what can be done on the homefront while the soldier prepares and eventually heads out.

On Friday we left out early so we could stop by Ft. Bragg before heading to the Yellow Ribbon event in Laurinburg. We've been trying to schedule a time to get my registration done for DEERS since we got married, and of course we waited until the weekend before AT to get it done. When we left the office, I walked away as an official dependent of E and with a brand new military identification card in my wallet. I have to say, I feel pretty awesome having it. It might seem dumb, but it's a small reminder that I'm (sort of) a part of something so much bigger than I could imagine.

We left the DEERS office and booked it to a Holiday Inn where the Yellow Ribbon event was held. We arrived at 4:45, and we didn't get our hotel room for another three hours. Of course, it wouldn't be the Army if something actually happened on time. Hurry up and wait, hurry up and wait...

We spent the night in a nice hotel room and Saturday was spent being briefed on everything I'm allowed to know about the deployment. We also learned about benefits for E (and me!) when he comes homes. We waked away with a TON of information that I'll be sifting through for the next few days, or perhaps after graduation.

And today, Sunday, is our catch-up day. The first part of it was spent with family, seeing his mom's side and my dad's side. Now it's our first day in a week that we're back in our room; I would be happy, but it's a bittersweet time. As I sit and write this, E is packing for AT. Usually AT wouldn't bother me but this time it's different. I know that the uniforms, equipment and Army mentality won't be unpacked when he comes home at the end of May. It'll be a short, 10 day reunion before he's off again. And then, it's just a two-hour long ceremony and a final kiss goodbye standing between deployment and us. The bed that's covered with ACUs will soon be empty, leaving room for two but only one occupant and a dog.



I'm trying to stay rather strong because I don't want to make harder on E, either. But damn, it's hard. It's hard because you don't want to be that girl. But sometimes I am, and it's tough to try and hide it. E leaves for AT tomorrow morning at 4 a.m. and I just wish I knew how to stop time. I would if I could, but I know it just isn't possible. Oh, the days coming are going to be long, long days.



No blog post would be complete with cute pictures of Roo.
 



No comments:

Post a Comment